Help Trans Youth in Mississippi
Provide guidance to trans youth, their families, and health providers
Posted February 27, 2023
Background & Context
In the wave of anti-trans legislation across the country, the Mississippi legislature passed a bill outlawing provision of health care for trans youth.
The ACLU of Mississippi and LGBTQ community partners are assisting in community outreach and education.
Trans youth, their families, and their health care providers need guidance on how to navigate this new legal territory.
Work & Deliverables
Provide legal memo on the effects and how to navigate legislation banning healthcare for trans youth in Mississippi, including:
• Causes of action and appropriate defendants in prepping for a potential lawsuit challenging the law;
• Identify the best understanding of what actions are permissible under the law (from a care perspective and a 1A perspective);
• Legal arguments, and their likelihood of success, to protect parents sued by the attorney general and individuals;
• Analysis of standing for potential plaintiffs who plan to leave the state within 1-2 years.
- Meet with ACLU of Mississippi legal team
- Conduct legal research and write a memo
- Share and present research