Your current browser version is not supported. Please install Internet Explorer 11, Google Chrome, Safari, or Firefox for a better user experience.
Director of Communications & Digital
We The Action (WTA) is growing! We're seeking a dynamic writer, communicator, and storyteller to manage our content creation, help energize our army of volunteers, and execute WTA's communications strategies.
Who We Are
We The Action is a digital platform that makes it easy for lawyers to volunteer for critical, impactful—and often urgent—legal needs posted by We The Action's nonprofit partners. Launched after the 2016 election, We The Action engages and mobilizes the legal community toward the most pressing issues of the day. Lawyers sign up for free at We The Action's website, browse projects posted by nonprofit partners, and volunteer for projects that interest them.
Currently, we have more than 80 nonprofit partners, including the ACLU, American Constitution Society, Indivisible, the American Immigration Lawyers Association, Planned Parenthood, Run for Something, Veterans Education Success, and dozens more.
What You'll Do
The Director of Communications & Digital will lead all communications and digital strategies, with the primary goal of helping We The Action increase its impact and reach. Your tasks will include:
- Telling WTA success stories in compelling and creative ways (and in multiple mediums) by compiling lawyer and nonprofit stories, photos, and video assets to share through internal and external channels;
- Increasing the engagement of our lawyer volunteers by using communications tools (online, phone, text, face-to-face) and analytics to develop creative and effective campaigns that motivate and inspire;
- Creating content for publication on our website, on our social media channels, and in external publications and websites;
- Helping WTA create connections between lawyers and nonprofit partners by assisting our nonprofit partners in crafting compelling projects and finding creative ways to promote new projects to our lawyer volunteers;
- Managing all media relations for WTA, including pitching stories to journalists, bloggers, and influencers; preparing WTA spokespeople for interviews as needed, including drafting background briefings and talking points; and serving as an occasional external spokesperson for the organization;
- Elevating and strengthening WTA's brand and name recognition; and
- Managing all external communications for WTA, including communications strategy, planning, and content creation; liaising as needed with outside communications consultants and/or firms; and providing recommendations to the WTA team as needed on strategies, ad buys, etc.
Who You Are
The ideal candidate will be:
- passionate about our mission;
- an excellent storyteller able to use words, images, and video to convey a message or illustrate a concept;
- well-versed in and open to learning a wide variety of content gathering and curation, including video, photography, social media, and written materials;
- current and engaged on emerging digital tools and mobile trends, particularly as they pertain to our platform and engaging with lawyers and nonprofits;
- adept at drafting and disseminating external and internal communications;
- experienced in writing compelling pitches and placing stories in a variety of media outlets;
- a team player who is comfortable working in a start-up environment, and doing whatever is necessary to build the organization and support your own work; and
- a self-starter—able to work effectively, independently, efficiently, reliably, and collaboratively.
What Else You Should Know
Washington, D.C. location preferred. Occasional travel required.
This is a temporary position intended to last 4-5 months, while a key staff member is on parental leave. Although we have no current hiring plans for permanent positions, We The Action is always looking for smart, dedicated, and dynamic team members, so future employment may be possible – especially in the field of communications where WTA has a current need.
WTA is an equal opportunity employer, committed to providing employment opportunities to all qualified individuals and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, genetic information, disability, matriculation, or political affiliation of any individual, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the employee in this position—not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of a person in this position.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should send a cover letter, resume, and three writing samples plus any relevant social media, videography, or photography samples to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis starting July 2, 2018.